- Humpty Dumpty: eponymous character in the popular Mother Goose nursey rhyme → Humpty Dumpty
- toes → Joyce's conception of Finn MacCool as a mythological sleeping giant, interred in the Dublin landscape, with his head beneath Howth (Danish hoved, "head") and his feet sticking up in Phoenix Park
- tum-ti-tum: a reiterated strumming, as of a stringed instrument
- t-t-t-toes → stuttering → HCE is a stutterer, like Parnell, his "hesitancy of speech" betraying his guilt
- tum, tummy: stomach
- tumulus: a burial mound; a tomb
- tum → tomb → the tomb of Isolde at Chapelizod?
- Atum, Temu, etc: various forms of the ancient Egyptian god who creates the world by masturbating on the primordial mud-heap → quest